Friday 26 August 2011

Are Stoke City killing the beautiful game?

Growing up a Man Utd supporter in a working class area of Stoke-on-Trent 2 miles from the Victoria Ground, meant that I was often made to feel about as welcome as a bad smell in an astronaut suit! I still wore my red shirt with pride.

Back then Stoke were a 3rd division team and believe it or not Port Vale were the dominant local side (my 2nd team) only dreamers would have imagined a 27'500 all seater stadium and playing in the top tier of English football. Well it was once said, "If you haven't got a dream, how are you going to have a dream come true?" well for the Stoke faithful that dream came true in 2008 and the once League Cup champions were back in the top flight, but how?

I personally have always been a fan of the Clough philosophy of football and often quote the great man “If God had meant football to be played in the air he would have put grass in the sky” I love to watch the way Barcelona pass the ball and move around the pitch as if they were floating on air.

However this is a far cry from the way that Stoke play. Tony Pulis is in his second spell at the club and I remember "die hard" fans slagging "TP" and calling for his head, that was until that glorious day in 2008. Since then they have lost to Man City in the Fa Cup final and now playing in Europe.

I hate the way that Stoke play and make sure I let every Stoke fan I know aware. However the respect and admiration I have for Puils is massive. His team lines up like a military front line. They are strong, organised and most importantly united. The team ethic that has been drilled into that club is immense and maybe something Mr Wenger could install into his team!

Are Stoke a dirty team? No not in my opinion, are they are strong, physical team? Yes and is there anything wrong in this? I don't think so; Allardyce did this for years at Bolton and nobody really made a big deal out of it? Stoke haven't got players that are capable of playing football like Barca and Man Utd, so why would he try to make this team do this? Sun Tzu said in the art of war "Know your strengths and weaknesses and play to your strengths"

This is exactly what Pulis has done, with the bomb like throws by Delap causing chaos in the box, two wingers with great delivery and a back for all over 6 feet tall it's no wonder the ball spends more time in the sky than the sun. Why would it not.

This is the reason Stoke are in the top flight, because there manager is a master tactician! He plays to his strengths and doesn't let weakness get in the way. Pulis once turned up late to a game the day his mother had died, if this is the act of a committed man then there isn't one.

Reading this anybody who knows me may not believe what they reading. Any chance I get to criticise "the mighty potters" I take and with a big grin on my face. However at the end of the day football is just a game and life does go on, we should salute people who are tacticians as tactics are still an art within the game and beauty lies within the eye of the beholder.

To answer my question. No stoke aren't killing the beautiful game and Tony Pulis I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment